The field notes and plat maps of the public land survey of Wisconsin are a valuable resource for original land survey information, as well as for understanding Wisconsin's landscape history.
The survey of Wisconsin was conducted between 1832 and 1866 by the federal General Land Office. The two townships that make up Alma were surveyed in 1851.
This work established the township, range and section grid; the pattern upon which land ownership and land use is based. The survey records were transferred to the Wisconsin Board of Commissioners of Public Lands after the original survey was completed.
Wisconsin Public Land Survey Records
2, 11, 12, 13, 14 (all are fractional)
General Description "Township 21 N of Range 13 West 4th Meridian, Wisconsin, is fractional lying on the Mississippi River thus but a very few sections lying in it is very bluffy and rocky. The bottom is low and subject to over flow there is best very little good farming land in it. The timber in said township is very good both in the bottom and on the upland. There is 2 settlers in it amediately on the River which has about 1 1/2 miles of good Steamboat landing on it. More particular has called the 12 Mile Bluffs which landing is supposed will be a large place in a short time."
25 (west of Buffalo River), 26, 27, 28, 34, 35 (all are fractional)
General Description "Township 22 N of Range 13 West 4th Meridian, Wisconsin, this township the N & E part is moutainous and hilly very little good land for cultvation. The S/W part is Mississippi bottom subject to overflow in which part the land is subject to overflow annually from 5 to 10 feet. There is one cabin in it inhabited. Timber in E part good in bottom Maple Ash Elm & Hickory."